Temperatures in Williamsville, NY vary greatly according to the season. They can be in the low 20’s degrees during the winter and touch 80 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer. We must have heating and cooling systems that can accommodate these weather extremes. Until recently most homes would use an HVAC powered by gas and/or electricity to do this. Now people have started to use heat pumps.
A heat pump will transfer heat energy from one point to another. They are like AC units in that they use coolants to transfer heat from your home to a condenser outside during the summer and reverse the process during the winter.
It is important to have a company that offers expert heat pump installation as well as heat pump repair and maintenance. Such a company is Vastola Heating & Cooling.
What types of Heat Pumps are there?
There are two main types of heat pumps on the market.
- Air-Source Heat Pump – these heat pumps transfer heat from outdoor air to inside your home. Even in what we think to be cold air, there are still large amounts of heat energy to be extracted.
- Geothermal Heat Pump – Rather than removing heat energy from the air, geothermal heat pump systems use underground heat as an energy source.
- There is a ground loop system of coolant-filled pipes that absorb ground heat and transfers it to the heat pump at ground level and then into your home.
- The pipes absorb and transfer heat in much the same way as a refrigerator absorbs heat from food placed in it.
- Geothermal heat pumps can reduce household energy use by up to 50 percent. Geothermal heat pumps can reduce household energy use by up to 50 percent.
Why Choose Vastola Heating & Cooling of Williamsville?
Heat pumps are very efficient and offer large energy savings. They do not leave much of a carbon footprint as they do not use fossil fuels to operate, but they are not for everyone. Heat pumps are best used in a moderate climate. They are not as efficient in very cold conditions, and they are more expensive to install than furnaces and air conditioners.
Heat pumps need to be correctly sized for your home, and many other factors need to be considered when sizing up. Factors like your home’s windows, foundation, how well your home is insulated, wall thicknesses, and whether your home is ductless or ducted, will need to be considered. At this point, you may need the services of an expert engineer from Vastola Heating & Cooling to advise you on what is best for your particular needs.
Vastola Heating & Cooling takes great pride in providing expert heat pump installation and repair services to the community of Williamsville and the surrounding region. It is a complex and important decision to make on whether to choose a heat pump or not and then select the best-sized unit for your needs. Let us help you with that choice. Or call us if you need help with your heating or cooling system.