Vastola Heating & Cooling on Facebook

Vastola Heating & Cooling on Twitter

Vastola Heating & Cooling on Google+

Call: (716) VASTOLA
          (827.8652)

Since 1946

 

CARBON MONOXIDE

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

These guidelines can help you avoid exposing your family to carbon monoxide:

  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

  • Install a battery operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

  • If your CO detector sounds, evacuate your home immediately and telephone 911.

  • Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated.

  • Do not use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.

  • Do not run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.

  • Do not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented.

  • Do not heat your house with a gas oven.

Symptoms of CO Exposure

Depending on the degree of exposure, carbon monoxide can cause the following symptoms:

  • Headache

  • Dizziness

  • Nausea

  • Weakness

  • Vomiting

  • Loss of consciousness

  • Shortness of breath

  • Light-headedness

  • Sleepiness

  • Loss of muscle control

  • Chest tightness

  • Confusion

  • Blurred vision

Remember that carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, so without a CO detector, it can build up in your home without your knowing.